Subject: Re: Attempts to install on a IIsi
To: Henry Ware <hware@a.cs.wvu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/27/1996 10:51:43
> How do I know if I have '32-bit dirty' ROM?
> I'm not sure if they have FPUs on not: how can I find out?

I'm fairly sure that the IIsi has clean ROM's as anything from the IIci
onward should be just fine (this means the II, IIcx, and SE/30 have trouble).
If you can get the machine to boot, it will tell you whether or not you
have an fpu. One of the lines during boot will say something like:

fpu0 at mainbus0 (m68881)

Or that's what I seem to remember it saying on mine.  If you can't ever
get it to boot, there are some utilities on the MacOS side which will
tell you this kind of thing.  I think one is called MacEnvy, although I'm
not too sure where you can find a copy (probably at any infomac or umich
mirror).

> What does miniroot get set to?  (Something of the form /dev/* or
> what?)

Unless you are trying to use a miniroot to install, leave this one
blank.  I don' know of anyone who has successfully used a miniroot
before, either.  A HOWTO for this kind of thing would be _real_ nice.
How about it?  Any takers?

> If the don't, how do I answer the FAQ's point 3.8.2 (your machine
> prefers an FPU (M68881 or M68882))-- it should _boot_ without a FPU,
> right?

The machine will still boot just fine without and fpu.  You just won't be
able to run fsck, ps, or any other command that requires floating point
instructions.  There should be pointers in the FAQ to a place where you
can find an FPU-less version of libm.so which should actually allow most
programs which require fp instructions to still run.  Any current kernel
should have FPE built in, so it should matter what kernel you use (as
long as you don't use the 1.1 distribution kernel).

> I guess all this is premature-- when I use the booter from within
> MacOS, I get:
> =-=-
> [...]
> Env:  "HWCFGFLAG2" set to 30527(0x773f).
> Env:  "HWCFGFLAG3" set to 16777510(0x1000126).
>
> Set _mac68k_vrsrc_cnt to 0x0.
>
> Set _mac68k_vrsrc_vect to {0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 }.
> =-=-
> and then it hangs.  Any clues?
> (Booter 1.8, netbsd_GENERIC_57 kernel, IIsi 9M ram,
> booter size set to 2.5M, extentions off).

Do you have the kernel name and location properly specified in the
booter?  Also, make sure that you have 32-bit mode enabled in the memory
control panel (this will prevent future problems).

> Thanks,
> Henry
>
> BTW: the MetaFAQ points people to the macbsd-general list,
> but the archives indicated it was a dead list.

Oops.  I thought I had gotten rid of all references to that.  I'll have
to fix it in the current round of updates.

Later.