Subject: Re: Attempts to install on a IIsi
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/27/1996 09:57:08
On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Erik Bertelsen wrote:

>< On some day, Henry Ware wrote:

> .. If the don't, how do I answer the FAQ's point 3.8.2 (your machine
> .. prefers an FPU (M68881 or M68882))-- it should _boot_ without a FPU,
> .. right?
> If you have an Apple PDS or NuBus adapter card, that'll include the
> FPU. Otherwise I don't know the current state of affairs...but yes,
> you should be able to boot.

You can still get NuBUS adapter cards.  Look carefully in the back of... I
forget, either MacWeek or MacWorld, I'm inclined to think the former.  If
you don't subscribe, check your local library or something.

> .. I guess all this is premature-- when I use the booter from within
> .. MacOS, I get:
> .. =-=-
> .. [...]
> .. Env:  "HWCFGFLAG2" set to 30527(0x773f).
> .. Env:  "HWCFGFLAG3" set to 16777510(0x1000126).
> ..
> .. Set _mac68k_vrsrc_cnt to 0x0.
> ..
> .. Set _mac68k_vrsrc_vect to {0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 }.
> .. =-=-
> .. and then it hangs.  Any clues?
> .. (Booter 1.8, netbsd_GENERIC_57 kernel, IIsi 9M ram,

1.  Do you have a swap partition?
2.  Make sure autosize RAM is turned on.
3.  Make sure you're not set to boot via serial console.  I believe that's
about at the end of the booter.
4.  If you used cpin to install a non-standard kernel, make sure you
gunzipped it on the MacOS side with MacGZIP in _binary_ mode.
5.  try http://www.macbsd.com/~davagatw/ and dig in to the easy setup
directions.  Let me know if that helps.  (I need to update the kernel
list, though.  Mental note: update list)
6.  Generic kernels have been failing on a number of IIsi's, but usually
not until it reads the PRAM time.  It could be that switching to an
ADBtest kernel would fix the problem (it fixed mine).  I've only heard of
two systems so far that have this problem, though.  No real pattern to it
that I could see, either.
7.  If none of those things help, write back and we'll scratch our heads
together.

> Have you installed the NetBSD files as mentioned above? You may also
> need to set the Screen control panel to black-and-white (1-bit) instead
> of colours.

	IIsi boots fine in 256, don't know about any of the other modes,
though.

> .. BTW: the MetaFAQ points people to the macbsd-general list,
> .. but the archives indicated it was a dead list.

C'est la vie.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |