Subject: Re: Trying to add a partition to filesystem...
To: Jell-O <wookie@us.net>
From: Steve Ihde <sihde@CS.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/26/1996 13:35:30
Jell-O writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to add a second partition (not including swap) to my
> filesystem.  It seems that although my Mac partitioning software
> recognizes the partition, disklabel does not.  I've heard that a couple of
> things are "broken" with disklabel.  Maybe it's part of the problem.
> Anyway, here's the info:
>
> Partitions read with MacOS Silverlining software:
>
> 	Apple 			(partition map)		31k
> 	Macintosh_SL		(Driver434)		32k
> 	root&usr		(UNIX_SVR2)		185606k
> 	Swap			(UNIX_SVR2)		20480k
> 	Free Unix slice 3	(UNIX_SVR2)		220000k
> 	Big Bad Disk		(HFS)			640994k

Hi,

I've used Silverlining to partition my drive as well.  The way I set
it up was with one root (Slice 0) partition, one swap (slice 1?)
partition, and the rest usr (Slice 0?) partions (I'm at work right now
and can't look at my machine).  I don't think "free" is what you want.
I think all the rest of your partitions for files&data (besides root)
should be "Usr" file systems.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I
have had problems getting these partitions recognized, but that's
because my HFS Mac paritions appeared first in the map and the kernel
(1.1) chose the HFS partitions instead of later UFS partitions.  This
was discussed a little while ago on this list, and it was pointed out
(by Allen?) that the newer kernels will scan the first 32 disk
partitions looking for 8 UFS partitions.  This I am anxious to see as
I untar 1.2_Alpha....

Anyway, I'm interested to know what "slice 0, slice 1", etc. mean.

-Steve