Subject: Re: fifo overrun errors...
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/23/1996 08:30:42

> >Jun 23 04:50:03 gelatin /netbsd: zstty0: fifo overrun
> >
> >I'm using ppp, connected to my modem at 38400.  I'm using a Performa 550.
> >Anyone know why I'm getting this error?
>
> Yes, the ring defualt ring buffer size of 512 is too small for the
> Performa-550 at 38400. After some experimentation I figured that changing
> it to 4096 eliminates the overruns. The two lines that need to be changed
> are in dev/zs.h

Unfortunately there are two types of overruns, ring and fifo. This problem
is a fifo one - we're not servicing the chip promptly. Raising the ring
buffer size won't help here as by the time we get to it, it's too
late; the ring gets used after we read the hardware, but fifo overruns happen
before we touch the hardware.

Also, in the current source, the default size is 2048, and is now in z8530tty.h.

Take care,

Bill