Subject: stable kernels/compilers
To: netbsd <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Schmiedl <101321.3101@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/22/1996 14:47:00
Some time ago, while installing TeX on my
SE/30 (Quantum 730, 1.1 Generic #47, X) the system
crashed while compiling. After restarting I discovered
that some files were missing, strangely enough, some manual
pages referring to X library functions.

I wrote a perl script to detect differences between the sizes
in my original tar-archives and the current sizes on the /usr
partition and found out that a 1k man page was inflated to 1.2M
and fsck did not discover this!

More annoyingly some programs in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin had
been changed to block device files 8-( ...

After reinstalling, rebooting, fscking I tried to continue
compiling under X and some 10 minutes later the system crashed
again with the same symptoms as above.
Using Generic #57 or wormhole #49 kernels had no influence, but I
learned that all deleted files resided in the /usr partition, my other
(root) partition was never affected.

I cannot be more detailed since in that time I had not learned
about the man page about ddb ...

AFAIK, this might be a bug in the gcc distributed with netBSD 1.1
since X without gcc runs mostly stable (couldn't get xdvi to work,
but ghostview ist just fine) and gcc without X runs fine, too.

Has anyone else run into this behaviour??

Equipment:
SE/30, 8MB, 50 MB swap, 100MB /, 300 MB /usr (approx)
Quantum 730 with HDT drivers
ProGraph 17'' monitor

Stefan Schmiedl
101321.3101@compuserve.com

PS: Can someone give me advice as how to set up my modem for
use with netbsd? Since I still have to use the MacOS side for
accessing my account, I had a hell of a time deleting vi's
hjkl cursor movement keys from this msg ...
^[:w
grrr ...