Subject: Re: summary 'Hot-plugging ADB', was: MRG, ADB, serial console...
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/21/1996 20:31:45
On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Allen Briggs wrote:

> > There is a similar issue that I recently discussed with Bill Studenmund: If
> > you boot to serial console and switch off the terminal/the computer used as
> > console, the serial console deliberately panics.
>
> This certainly shouldn't panic the system.  IMO, although if it's
> something like a loss of CD, the proper cable would do the trick to
> fix it.

Same problem here with the Apple IIgs as a terminal, only it happens when
it turns on as well.  When the modem program starts up, the first thing it
does is send a break, and NetBSD drops instantly into the debugger.  And
then, and only then, do I get to reset the modem program to 9600 baud and
send not one, but two continues.  Finally, a login prompt.  Is there any
way to disable the break signal dropping the system into the debugger?
Maybe as a netbsd.conf file or something containing all the custom prefs
of the user.  Sometimes breaking a little away from the standard is a good
thing.

Also, such a config file could control whether the kernel boots by default
into single or multi-user mode, taking one more unnecessary control out of
the booter.  That would greatly simplify the possibility of a lilo
control panel booter.  Speaking of which, are the sources for that animal
available?

Just adding two more cents to the pile,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |