Subject: Re: mac68k snapshot
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/21/1996 16:06:37
> > tar zxvf them from /  ??
>
> I do this all the time with no problems (it's _much_ faster than using
> the installer),

Might be worth an entry in the FAQ.  You'll want to take a couple of
precautions if you do this because you don't really want to overwrite
the shared libraries or binaries that you're running (tar, gzip, sh, etc.).

It's also a good idea to use 'tar zxpf' instead of 'tar zxvf'--the 'v'
is optional, but the 'p' says to preserve the permissions on the files
as they're extracted.

> So I would recommend untarring Steve's archives
> in single-user if current kernels are still not quite stable.

Please try these!  If they're not stable, I'd like to know that now,
before 1.2 goes out the door.  These files contain the kernel and binaries
for 1.2_ALPHA.

-allen

--
 Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **