Subject: Re: MRG, ADB, serial console vs. PRAM time
To: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
From: Nicholas Riley <nriley@tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/20/1996 20:49:08
>Wasn't it? As I wrote to Scott, I can
>
>o  boot my SE/30 without adb devices, plug them in and run, and even
>
>o  boot             "               , drop into MacsBug, plug the kbd in
>   and run.
>
>This tells me that there must be some provisions to deal with hot plugging.

Well, I guess I'll put in my 2 cents now.  I've been having similar
problems with my SE/30.  Ken got loads of problem reports about this when I
thought it was related to the color X kernel (which doesn't work with my
SE/30, but nevermind...at least with generic#7 I have X, period).

Here's how I partially solve the problem...

Often when I restart or boot my SE/30, either the keyboard doesn't work, or
the mouse (actually a Logitech TrackMan) doesn't work, or the mouse works
for pointing but won't click.  I've tried swapping ADB cables, mice and
trackballs, and keyboards, and the same thing happens.

I have a small utility called ADB Prober (should be on info-mac).  I am
able to navigate to ADB Prober with exclusively the keyboard or mouse, and
I either press command-R (if I can use the keyboard) or click the Reset
button (if I can use the mouse) to reset the ADB.  I sometimes need to do
this more than once, but eventually the keyboard and mouse start
functioning and I boot NetBSD.

But having reached this point, sometimes the boot hangs at the adb: line,
and I need to restart, reset with ADB prober, ad infinitum (usually no more
than two cycles of this) and the boot will proceed normally, except for the
reporting of some "phantom" ADB devices (once in a long while the ADB
reports fine, but most of the time it doesn't)...here's a sample boot:

	mrg: ADB interrupts enabled.
	adb: extended keyboard at 2 [real: the keyboard]
	adb: unknown type device, (def 7, handler 15) at 7 [real: a PowerKey]
	adb: extended keyboard at 15
		[this is "phantom", sometimes it is joined by a phantom mouse]
	adb: extended mouse <!1> 56-button 15419 dpi unknown device at 3
		[real: trackball, but why is it doing this?]

The third and final problem shows up with X.  First, I assume because of
the "56-button" trackball, I can't use the Apple extended mouse protocol
support for the middle and right buttons in X.  That's almost ok, since the
default behaviors of buttons 2 and 3 are <- and ->; I just remember to hold
down option and use the mouse as normal.  Once in a while, though, the X
cursor turns into what looks like a mouse (this means it can't find a
mouse, I think?  I've never seen it before on any platform) and from there,
I can either reboot, or if I disconnect and reconnect the mouse, the cursor
goes away and the mouse is usable.

I think my ADB is messed up, possibly because of hot-plugging I did
stupidly :) in the past, and it may eventually fail.  I would guess Hauke
is having the same problem; he might want to try ADB Prober.  If this is a
NetBSD problem, I'd be happy to provide more information.

<sabi

|Nicholas Riley  | nriley@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu |
|nriley@tiac.net |       st951491@pip.cc.brandeis.edu |
|________________|_<http://www.tiac.net/users/nriley/>|