Subject: Re: MRG, ADB, serial console vs. PRAM time
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Carlson <stevec@accessone.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/20/1996 09:49:20
    The ADB wasn't desigend to deal with unplugging/replugging ADB devices.
It can't tell when new devices are added and removed.  Some of the
motherboards especially in the II series aren't adequately protected and
you can damage the ADB controller.  I've known people who have done just
that.  "Mom Apple" does warn about this by the way.

--
Steven Carlson
stevec@accessone.com

>And MacOS feels just fine with hot plugging ADB devices - afaik not even
>Mom Apple warns of that.
>

>I'd call a _Desktop_Bus_ hardware extremely poor designed if it could not
>deal with hot plugging. The only exception that I can think of is
>environments with very dry air and high static electricity.
>
>The fuses you name are 0.5 A, and people even power 2.5" HDs with ADB
>current. The HD motor does surely suck more peak current when starting up
>than any kbd or mouse ever will.

    I've never heard about this.  The ADB is way too slow to access a HD
with.  I've heard of (very slow) ADB modems though.  One of the Apple TNs
does say ADB devices can only use very little current.  (Can't rememver
amount, sorry)