Subject: Re: MRG, ADB, serial console vs. PRAM time
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/20/1996 00:56:15
At 19:49 Uhr 18.06.1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:

>!! It's generally inadvisable to unplug (and replug) ADB devices with the
>power on.  You run the risk of goofing up the drivers,

Well -- even the peecees have learned to deal with unplugging/replugging
the keyboard. Not with the mouse, though.

And MacOS feels just fine with hot plugging ADB devices - afaik not even
Mom Apple warns of that.

>but on some
>hardware you can actually blow fuses that can't be replaced (at
>least, according to Apple).  I don't think the SE/30 is one of those
>machines, but I wouldn't be willing to risk it. :-/

Ahh, those people who don't know at which end a soldering iron heats up :)

I'd call a _Desktop_Bus_ hardware extremely poor designed if it could not
deal with hot plugging. The only exception that I can think of is
environments with very dry air and high static electricity.

The fuses you name are 0.5 A, and people even power 2.5" HDs with ADB
current. The HD motor does surely suck more peak current when starting up
than any kbd or mouse ever will.

The fact remains that in MacBSD it's a driver issue - that's why I was
talking about attaching devices dynamically (like MacOS does it).

	hauke

---