Subject: Re: Case cracker for SE/30
To: Steven Sartorius <ssartori@cnj.digex.net>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/1996 23:47:15
Steven Sartorius writes:
>I'm running NetBSD 1.1 (including X11R6!) on my old SE/30 which only has
>4M of RAM.  Needless to say, all the swapping going on slows things to a
>crawl.  I'd like to install another 4MB of memory but I can't find the
>case cracker I used to have when I was tinkering around with the old
>warhorse.  Anybody know where I can get a replacement??

I've never found a case cracker to be necessary.  To open the case,
remove the four screws (and the programmer's switch if you have it
installed), hold the machine face-down by the sides about an inch above
something soft (I usually use a bed), and shake gently side-to-side.
The weight of the innards will pull the case open, and everything but
the rear shell will drop out.

YMMV, of course.  Also, in case you haven't done it before, installing
memory in an SE/30 requires removing the motherboard entirely, which in
turn requires unplugging a number of almost completely inaccessible
plugs on the top of the motherboard.  Even worse is getting them all
back on.  (Extra memory is worth the trouble, though X at 512x342
seems really sick and wrong somehow. ;-)

If this doesn't work, there's a type of paper clamp that most office
supply stores carry which should do the trick.  I'm not sure how to
describe it, but the business end looks like a metal wedge that can
be spread apart.

Good luck,
-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                      monroe@teleport.com