Subject: Re: disk partitions, etc.
To: Alan Larson <larson@net.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/1996 22:53:09
On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Alan Larson wrote:

>   So, what type of partition should I create?  I set up a separate
> root and /usr, and wanted a /home and a HFS partition.  I wind up with
> Silverlining telling me I had a Free A/UX Slice 3 (or 4), [...]
>   What slice types do work?

I created another "Usr slice 2" partition.  Works well.

>   Why is it necessary for the machine to be in 32 bit mode before booting
> MacBSD?  Why not switch it at startup?

Part of the problem is that we need the booter to pass in information
about where to find the on-board hardware in the memory map.  While it's
true that these things gets shuffled around a bit, there are many things
that simply aren't accessible when running in 24-bit mode (e.g. RAM over
8MB).

> Similarly, why should it have to be
> running system 7?  Booting should be lots simpler than that.

A stripped down 7.0 system file is good enough to boot; at one point I had
such a floppy.  It's been a while though.  The main reason, as I
understand it, is that we need it for 32-bit mode to be enabled.  I've
been led to believe that System 6 doesn't allow this, at least not
generally.

--scott