Subject: Re: xdm
To: David Bushong <dbushong@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/1996 20:43:53
On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, David Bushong wrote:

> 	I'm probably missing something basic here, but thought I'd ask
> anyway..  I got xdm up and running (finally), but when I login as a
> user (or root), my .xsession as I have it set starts up an xterm -ls -C ...
> This is all fine, but the system doesn't seem to accept the user as being
> logged in at that point.  Shouldn't the user be "logged on to console"?
> If I do something like ftp somewhere from that xterm, the suggested
> username ftp suggests upon connect is "root" (no matter what user I log
> in as)  What am I missing to have xdm register a user as logging in?

Here's my /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup file which makes the necessary
entry by calling sessreg (note that I don't use GiveConsole - I have
Xconsole started up in my Xsetup script):

#!/bin/sh
#
# Xstartup
#
# This program is run as root after the user is verified
#
if [ -f /etc/nologin ]; then
     xmessage -file /etc/nologin
     exit 1
fi
sessreg -a -l ${DISPLAY%%.*} -x /usr/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xservers -w /var/log/wtmp \
  -u /var/run/utmp $USER
#/usr/X11R6/lib/xdm/GiveConsole
exit 0