Subject: Re: disk partitions, etc.
To: Alan Larson <larson@net.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/1996 21:39:36
>   So, what type of partition should I create?

Well, any of the A/UX slices _should_ be OK, but apparently they're not.
With a bit of time, a scrap disk, and some paper, it should be possible
to add the code to get those "Free A/UX slices" working properly.

Unfortunately, I think different installers handle the extra A/UX
partitions a little differently.

I do encourage you to skip the installer as much as possible and do
whatever configuration you can within NetBSD itself.  The disklabel code
has been updated much more recently than the installer's, and it might
actually see those partitions.

>   Why is it necessary for the machine to be in 32 bit mode before booting
> MacBSD?  Why not switch it at startup?  Similarly, why should it have to be
> running system 7?  Booting should be lots simpler than that.

The memory layout is much more sane in the 32-bit mode System 7 case.
If you really want to work on it, you're welcome to do so, but I think
there are much more intriguing problems to solve.

-allen

--
 Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>