Subject: Re: MRG, ADB, serial console vs. PRAM time
To: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/1996 19:49:41
On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Hauke Fath wrote:

> Is there any way of booting NetBSD with console on internal video but
> without keyboard or mouse?

There is not, currently.

> When the box is up and running, I can
> unplug/replug the kbd, but when it boots to internal video and sees no kbd
> it just hangs forever in some ADB init code.

!! It's generally inadvisable to unplug (and replug) ADB devices with the
power on.  You run the risk of goofing up the drivers, but on some
hardware you can actually blow fuses that can't be replaced (at
least, according to Apple).  I don't think the SE/30 is one of those
machines, but I wouldn't be willing to risk it. :-/

The only idea I have is that at some future point, when the ite code gets
cleaned up for real, to allow some way to boot with a serial console
but echo all output to the ite as well as the serial console.  At least
this way you could plug another machine or a terminal into the serial port
to deal with the db> prompt.

An alternative is to build kernels with DDB so that the machine will
automatically reboot when it crashes.  Working crash dumps would be useful
here, though.  :-)

--scott