Subject: Re: Internal Video Update
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/16/1996 20:48:19
On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, M.R. Zucca wrote:

> I was talking about the folks who still can't use anything but a serial
> terminal. I got a message from a fellow with a Classic II, I think. Machines
> like that really should have internal video up and going. :)

And PowerBooks.

> are too far out of whack with my kernel. For instance, man doesn't work
> on GENERIC-7 because when nroff calls malloc and it doesn't match or soemthing.
> If I switch back to GENERIC-6 it works OK. I assume that X has a shared library
> problem of that ilk. I could be wrong, of course :)
>
> I'm still using the 1.1 libs I got with the distribution. I really should
> download the lib source and re-compile. :)

Which Generic #7?  Weren't there two?  Maybe I just misunderstood that
post.  Anyway, I'm still using libraries from 1.1_ALPHA and Generic #7
works.  Of course, that's on a PowerBook 145, so it has to run serial
console.  That _might_ make a difference.  And It has crashed a couple of
times in vi, but only after it worked fine for a week or two.  Now, I'm
backing up my work every five minutes and I've had multiple crashes
recently.  I'm probably going to reinstall.

As for the IIsi, it's still sitting there, waiting for an ethernet card
and FPU.

BTW, does anybody know, is there some reason that tgetent (from termcap
lib) would fail when called from a program that has closed stdin, stdout,
and stderr?  Or is it just my bad programming?  :-)

Any chance the termcap library functions could be included directly into a
program so I don't have to tear out my hair over pointers and pointers to
pointers and... well, you get the idea.  I know that would make the
program 100% unportable, but it would eliminate an argument on the compile
line.  :-)

Mpw. all I have to do is interface the powerbook's old 40 meg internal
drive as a swap partition....

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |