Subject: Re: Mac Hardware Notes
To: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/13/1996 19:15:17

> At 5:15 AM 6/13/96, Brad Salai wrote:
> >Not to sound like anyone's mother, but copyright does apply to written things
> >too, not just software. In fact, there were no computers when copyright laws
> >were first enacted, honest ;-).
> >
> >Brad
> There are also lots of legitimate reasons why you can copy parts of a
> document.  For example an excerpt for the purposes of explaining to someone
> what the document is like is permitted, so the quote Randy gave in his
> email is OK.  I believe someone engaged in research and/or development can
> reproduce pieces of stuff for their own use in that work.  The general idea
> is that a University professor can xerox a chapter from a book so he has it
                                     ^^^^^
                                       arrrghhhh!

> available while he's working through an experiment in a lab.  To the extent
> that NetBSD is a single legal entity I think we can probably use this
> exception to provide limited distribution of a chapter or two from Randy's
> book.

I doubt that this characterization would be accepted, but I understand it.
The problem I was pointing out was scanning and posting any significant part of a copyrighted work. Probably not a good idea.

> Since the book is out-of-print I suspect that the copyright holder would
> have no problem formally granting a limited reproduction request---if you
> can get anyone to bother to respond at all.

If you could get permission, all would be well.
> I am not a lawyer.  Use this advice at your own risk.  Note the official
> signature.

I am, but this is free advice, worth every penny. Given the tendencies of Apple in this area, It would not be a good thing for netbsd to do without permission.

Brad