Subject: Serial ports
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/13/1996 10:53:26
Howdy everyone!

We recently incorperated the new serial port drivers. I'd appreciate it
if y'all could test them out.

Serial console should work on either the modem or printer port; make sure
you turn on a tty on the port! Note: the graphics driver (ite) should now
be smart enough to not open if internal video wasn't configured (no more
errors if you accidentally leave the ttye0 line on in getty).

Serial echo should work on the printer port.

Both are 9600, N, 1.

Also, we have new code to support externally-clocked devices. Use booter
1.9.3 (beta 1, which I compiled, only runs on non-minimal MacOS
instalations. There's a newer one which should run on all systems) and
set some of the new external clock sources.

The way it mostly works is that you set a clock rate in the Serial Ports
dialog box in the booter. Then, under NetBSD, you can set that port
to one of 4 rates based on that clock: /1, /16, /32, and /64. You can
still select all of the normal baud rates.

The GPi inputs are a bit different from the above simplicity. The modem
port can accept a clock on GPi, and can get the /1, /16, and /32 above.
But it can also feed this external clock to the baud rate generator,
so you can get a whole slew of baud rates (including /64).

The printer port's GPi is not usable as a clock source, but we take a
a value as a warning. External clocks share pins with the carrier detect
and CTS lines. If we don't disable these interrupts, then the clock will
make the chip think the modem's gone spastic, and we freeze from an
interrupt storm. So if there's a clock, we disable interrupts. A
printer port GPi clock will disable interrupts, even though that source
can't be used for baud rate generation.

We also have "raw" mode defaults as a selection. This feature is useful
for those of us w/ DeskWriter printers as it keeps characters from EVER
getting echoed back to the printer.

Also, could someone who's on LocalTalk please test the new "Ignore
LocalTalk" function. I forgot exactly what I called it, but it tells
the computer that there might be LocalTalk connected to the
printer port. This option sets the default baud rate to 1, hopefully
getting us to ignore the port.

I'll be around some through this weekend, but not much. I'll be out of
town next week, so I'd appreciate it if y'all could find bugs soon. :-)

Take care,

Bill