Subject: Re(2): The Horror ROM (not configured)
To: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Josh Moyer <jmoyer@cortland.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/1996 23:06:32
> I think we've got two choices:
>
> 	* Load the card's initialization routine and run it with an
> 	  emulated slot manager.
>
> 	* Load the values from the slot manager in the booter and then
> 	  use those values at device probe time.
>
> The former may get us into trouble if the init routines want a lot of
> the MacOS to be there.  We're already starting to emulate the basic
> functions, though, and it might not be unreasonable to work from this
> angle.  Loading the values in the booter is certainly easier, but every
> little bit that we add to the booter makes booting from a boot block
> that much harder.

It is probably also worth noting that the former option brings us a small =
step
closer to MacOS emulation.  MacOS emulation (while still unimportant =
compared to other project goals) is becoming more relevant as the '040s =
get closer and
closer to working.  Further, if Apple holds on its promise to release the
MkLinux source and we create NetBSD/macPPC, then MacOS emulation would =
become
quite desireable, IMHO.  BTW, what is the status of Apple releasing the =
MkLinux
source.  Does it look like they'll hold to their promise?

--
------