Subject: Re: Motorola cpus and swappability
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ben Hockenhull <benh@inlink.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/09/1996 11:39:41
>--- Ben Hockenhull wrote:
>Am I overlooking anything glaringly obvious here?
>--- end of quoted material ---
>I thought Ben was overlooking something obvious, so I mailed him a reply.  The
>posted answers didn't give much detail, so I thought I'd better post the
>answer:
>
>Yes.  The speed is set by a crystal - not by the cpu chip.  That crystal in the
>se/30 not only controls the cpu speed, but also the video display bit rate,
>floppy data rate, serial port speed, sound, and the roasting of your morning
>coffee.  Some of those are important, and can't be fudged much.

The clock chip/crystal issue was in the back of my mind...but I hadn't
given it that much thought.  One thing I was wondering was this:

I have heard that the 030@50mhz chips are internally clockdoubled.  I am
wondering if this is indeed true.  If so, I would think that I'd see an
increase in processing speed, but not in external I/O.

I don't understand much about the internals of processors...I'm more of a
software person.  I suppose that my primary question is this:  if I were
able to pull off a faster processor and clock speed, would this cause
problems with some of the OS timings in MacBSD?

Thanks.

Ben