Subject: Re: Motorola cpus and swappability
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Adams <spoon@cqc.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/07/1996 19:11:05
>On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Ben Hockenhull wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:05:47 -0600
>> From: Ben Hockenhull <benh@inlink.com>
>> To: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG
>> Subject: Motorola cpus and swappability
>>
>> I have an old Apollo 400t that I'm upgrading to a 425t via motherboard
>> swap.  The 400t board has a socketed Motorola 68030 chip that runs at
>> 50mhz.
>> Hmmm....I thought, Maybe I can put that cpu in my SE/30 which runs MacBSD...
>> So, my question is, can anyone think of a reason why I would not want to do
>> this?  I assume that since its an 030 chip, just faster, there shouldn't be
>> any problems but wanted to make certain before going ahead.  It sounds to
>> me a lot like putting in a DayStar 50mhz accellerated chip.  Am I
>> overlooking anything glaringly obvious here?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Ben
>>
>Typically the clock driving the chip is on your motherboard.  So
>replacing your processor with a "faster" (read higher speed rated) one
>will not accomplish anything.
>
>The Daystar is most probably a small circuit board that, amoung other
>things, has a faster clock mounted on it.

There's always the idea of replacing the clock chip on the motherboard
along with the processor, but I wouldn't advise it!  :P

Best to go the daystar route.  I remember an excellerator board called the
DiimoCache that ran at 50MHz with 128k ram cache that ran in an SE/30 with
an adapter board (it was designed for the IIci).

Best talk to a Electrical Engineer.

-Spoon

| "If a cow sneezes, does milk come out it's nose?"  |