Subject: Re: Motorola cpus and swappability
To: Ben Hockenhull <benh@inlink.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/07/1996 12:25:44

> I have an old Apollo 400t that I'm upgrading to a 425t via motherboard
> swap.  The 400t board has a socketed Motorola 68030 chip that runs at
> 50mhz.
> Hmmm....I thought, Maybe I can put that cpu in my SE/30 which runs MacBSD...
> So, my question is, can anyone think of a reason why I would not want to do
> this?  I assume that since its an 030 chip, just faster, there shouldn't be
> any problems but wanted to make certain before going ahead.  It sounds to
> me a lot like putting in a DayStar 50mhz accellerated chip.  Am I
> overlooking anything glaringly obvious here?

Kinda. The SE/30 isn't designed for the processor to run at a faster
speed by itself. Daystar and others also have an extra clock crystal to
run the CPU faster (part of the accelerator card). That chip would work
in an SE/30, but you'd need for the system to run at a faster clock to
see a difference.

The chip would be great for an accelerator card that lacked a CPU but
was designed to handle 50 MHz chips. :-)

Take care,

Bill