Subject: Hardware Miscellany
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/05/1996 22:30:42
Strangeness of strangeness...I got my CW Gold Update recently and I decided
to put the whole thing on my drive. Checking through the MPW stuff I noticed
a bunch of files that are essentially routine maps for ROMs on different
classes of machines! This may help folks trying to do many different things.

While playing around in the ROMs with this new guide, I noticed that the
value I had been using, 0CEC was being used in an audio-related routine.
This makes some sense since the VASP chip in the IIvx uses the VRAM for the
sound amongst some other technical stuff. Anyway, I also noticed that
ASCBase is 0CC0 on my machine. Macsbug also seems to think that a variable
called SMgrGlobals resides at 0CC4. More evidence pointing to low-mem
hardware globals! I think what I'm looking at here is the hardware I/O space
getting mapped in at 0C00 The question is, does this work for everyone else?
Get those surveys in folks! :)

As far as floppy stuff goes, use the ROM driver. I don't think the IWM docs
will be good enough for the SWIM and since the floppy requires almost
constant system attention you might as well poll the stupid thing. This is
kind of a loss with systems with DMA Floppy but it's better than nothing.
Perhaps systems with the "hog floppy" can use the ROMs and the DMA systems
can have a separate driver:

hogfloppy0 at mainbus0
hogfloppy1 at mainbus0

or

dmafloppy0 at mainbus0

Someday, anyway. :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill