Subject: Re: Floppy drive access??
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Uncle John <happy@dircon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/05/1996 18:52:09
At 9:59 5/6/96, "The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood]"
<davagatw@mars.utm.edu wrote:
>Well, that's a start.  Have you ever wondered what happened to change
>apple's openness?
--At a guess, big nasty competition came along, and they ended up with a
certain detachment from the reality that it isn't just competitors that
have a use for the technical details.

>The Apple II+ came with a user manual that included a
>complete copy of the sources for the ROMS and an in-depth description of
>how to program _everything_.  I don't think mac manuals even have pin-outs
>for the ports.
--Correct, and it's incredibly annoying... *sigh*

>Reading some junk, did you know that for a while, Apple built the UniDisk
>3.5 for use with IIe's, and that it contained a 65C02 microprocessor in
>the drive itself....  Yikes.  Nothing like having a drive that runs on a
>better processor than your computer....
--Yeah, but if floppy access takes 100% processor attention, then nowt
better than giving it its own processor ;) Still, tis a bit sad....!

John.

<cradles his faithful 6502-based BBC-B doorstop>
(Actually, the ZX81 is better shaped for the job :)

                     "It's not a Bug(TM) it's a Feature"

 ["Bug" is a registered trademark of Microsloth Corp. All wrongs reserved]

    +-+-+ Admin on Monochrome (telnet 138.40.17.10 for more details) +-+-+
                  Email tugs@mono.org || happy@dircon.co.uk