Subject: Re: Floppy drive access??
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/05/1996 09:59:35
On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Dave Huang wrote:

> FWIW, some Apple II(gs) folks know a lot about the IWM, since the IIgs
> also uses the IWM, which is based on the original 5.25" floppy controller.
> I'm not one of the people who know a lot about the IWM though... all I can
> do is make the disk spin and the head step :)

Well, that's a start.  Have you ever wondered what happened to change
apple's openness?  The Apple II+ came with a user manual that included a
complete copy of the sources for the ROMS and an in-depth description of
how to program _everything_.  I don't think mac manuals even have pin-outs
for the ports.

Reading some junk, did you know that for a while, Apple built the UniDisk
3.5 for use with IIe's, and that it contained a 65C02 microprocessor in
the drive itself....  Yikes.  Nothing like having a drive that runs on a
better processor than your computer....

What controller chip did Apple's II and II+ use (on the card or whatever)?

Ideas?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |