Subject: Re: Floppy drive access??
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/03/1996 19:39:59
On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:
> Unfortunately, the IWM and SWIM chips used to access the floppies are both
> proprietary and undocumented.  Apple hasn't been particularly forthcoming
> with the information, as I understand it.

FWIW, some Apple II(gs) folks know a lot about the IWM, since the IIgs
also uses the IWM, which is based on the original 5.25" floppy controller.
I'm not one of the people who know a lot about the IWM though... all I can
do is make the disk spin and the head step :)

Does anyone know where the IWM control registers are kept, btw? I notice
there's this low memory global at 0x1e0 called IWM, but at least on my
660av, it's 0xffffffff. (does the AV not allow direct access to the SWIM
or something?)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 20 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++