Subject: Re: Floppy drive access??
To: Steven Sartorius <ssartori@cnj.digex.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/03/1996 14:15:05

> This weekend I finally took the plunge and loaded NetBSD onto my old
> SE/30 (4MB Ram, 80MB HD).  After a few hiccups I got the system booted
> and running and was plesantly surprised at how complete it is.  One thing
> I can't figure, however, is how to access the internal floppy drive.
> During the installation process I did build devices but when I looked
> through /dev I didn't see an fd0 (there is an fd directory, though).  A
> look through the MAKEDEV script implied that floppy support was
> unimplemented.  Am I missing something or is this just a UNIX
> configuration issue??  FYI, I used the 1.1 binaries I found on puma in
> the snapshot and tarballs directories (snapshot didn't seem to have the
> netbsd kernal binary).

No, you're not mssing anything. We don't support floppies at the moment.
The problem is that the floppy controller requires the complete attention
of the CPU. Multitasking stopes dead. For instance, under A/UX, when you
formatted a floppy, the whole machine had to wait for completion.

A few people have mentioned getting a floppy disk driver running, which
would be nice. But I think a bigger place to put effort is in things
like the 5396 SCSI chip or the SONIC Ethernet chip (needed to get Quadras
running) going.

Oh, AFAIK, /dev/fd/ is a directory in which each "file" represents a file
opened by that process. Thus /dev/fd/0 is file descriptor 0 (standard
in usually), /dev/fd/1 is file descriptor 1, etc.

Take care,

Bill