Subject: Re: Problems booting - please HELP !
To: Alessandro Lofaro <cu162@fim.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Peter Kelm <kelm@physik.TU-Berlin.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/03/1996 13:38:34
On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Alessandro Lofaro wrote:

> panic: don't know how to relocate video!
> Stopped at _Debugger+0x6:unlk a6
> db>

NetBSD/Mac does not know how to handle the internal video on this machine.
I suppose that there are additional quirks like this.

> When I got this screen, the keyboard was unuseful, and I was forced to
> reboot the computer by force.
> 	I've some questions I hope someone can kindly answer:
> 1) Is the trouble with the fact that the zip disk is ejected ?

That's okay since booting NetBSD is kinda restart for the Mac. So MacOS
ejects all the disks.

> 2) If it is so, there is a way to force the exit from the debugger
>    and continue the bootstrap ?

Yupp, figure out where nternal video is mapped on this machine... But this
would mean to do some macsbug hacks and taking a ride with the kernel
sources...

> 3) If the trouble is with something other, what could be and how could
>    I solve the situation ?

same as above...

> 4) I've tried to work on the Booter configuration, obtaining the same
>    results all the times: I've seen that there is an "MacOS" option
>    in the kernel location - is this an indication that I can use
>    NetBSD by creating a partition in the zip and then making it bootstrap
>    from a kernel on my (IDE) MacOS HD ?

AFAIK it has to do with miniroots. A disk-image like structure that can be
used without a disk driver. But I never used this anyway.... (anyone ???)

You also may give the PB500 kernels on puma a shot...

Hope this helps.....
                                   Peter

         --- beam me up Scotty, this planet sucks ---
                                                        Plan B
Peter Kelm (kelm@physik.tu-berlin.de)

Technical University Berlin
Physics Department