Subject: Weird SE/30 boot problem
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/29/1996 09:49:13
Howdy!

I've been having a weird problem getting netbsd to boot on an SE/30 I'm
borrowing (NetBSD's running on my IIsi which is right next to this
computer). At first, when I booted w/ booter 1.8, I got up, and the
kernel complained that I was hosed, and that I needed 32 bit addressing
to be on (Thanks for fixing the message!).

Oh, it's a SE/30 w/ 8MB ram, 16 MB swap partition, 79 MB NetBSD,
and 5 MB MacOS. I'm running a minimum 7.1 system, various booters,
and the kernel from my IIsi (sources from just before when SCSI broke).
It has an Ethernet card in it of unknown (Asante I think) origin; it's
a IIsi PDS card (has the extra PDS slot and FPU socket).

So I went off to Appple and got the 32 Bit system enabler. Into the
system folder it went, reboot, and I turned on 32 bit addressing.
After rebooting again, I used Booter 1.9.3 (the serial-port aware
variant of Markus & Brian's latest booter; it's on Puma now) to
fire up NetBSD. When I booted, it went along, then just froze.
I think it was before the "And so I sayz to him.." line.

At first, I didn't trust the 32 Bit enabler; the finder didn't recognize
its file type (though it did work). So I gote Mode32, and tried
it, with the same results.

So:

32 Bit addressing: from either Mode32 or 32 bit System Enabler, either
	booter 1.9.3 or Booter 1.8 both freeze before booting,
	I think before the "so I sayz" line.

24 bit addressing: Booter 1.8 will let me get to the kernel, which
	fires up fine until it touches the MMU (Booter 1.9.3 won't
	run w/o 32 bit addressing).

My thought is that there's something in the system which isn't 32-bit
clean. I'll remove the Ethernet card (or find its drivers) and see how
that goes, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions?

Thanks!

Bill