Subject: Re: Connecting a terminal to MacBSD
To: Thomas Bjorn Andersen <bjorn@daimi.aau.dk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/1996 17:52:58

> Browsing though my local second hand computer store, I found what looked to
> be a terminal. It had something that looked very much like a RS-232 plug.
> Does anyone have any experience using a terminal with NetBSD? Do I simply
> use the cable adaptor from the old ImageWriter (wide one, of course)? Isn't
> there something like DTE and DTC when it comes to the wiring of the plugs?

Yes, you do have to get DTE & DCE (Data Terminal Equipment, Data
Communication Equipment, I think) right. The terminal should be
DTE.

I don't know if the ImageWriter I was DTE or DCE, but the wide cable
would be a place to start. Also, if you are physically unable to
plug this cable into a modem, then chances are it's acting like a
null modem to a DTE. If so, it should work for you.

To use it w/ NetBSD, you just turn on a tty in /etc/ttys. man ttys
will say more.

Take care,

Bill