Subject: Finding the DRVR code for the survey
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/1996 12:34:08
If you can't find the driver code in the system file then it is most likely
only contained in the ROMs. To look at that code you'll need to do a
ROM dump.

You can use a program on the Mac side called "Rommie". You can get this at
most any Umich mirror in utils/develop/hardware or something of that nature.
Do an archie on "Rommie" if you're stuck.

This program is nice in that it dumps not only a ROM image but also a
Res-Edit file. The only problem is that the Res Edit file is not very good
and likely you won't find your Driver code. It's worth a shot though.
I'm not sure why it does that but it is very annoying. When I do a dump
on my IIvx the stupid thing can't find the ADBS resource or the video
driver in the DRVR resource. I know that those things are there!
However, the image file looks accurate. Maybe you can locate the info
from the image by looking at the image file's data fork with CODE-Editor and
an appropriate data fork->resource fork mapper like Forker. Looking at the
ROM code is very enlightening. Ever wonder what happens the first second
you Mac boots? :)

If you're *really* adventurous you can drop into MacsBug, and find out
where your driver physically resides using the "drvr" d-command. Then
display memory and have fun. This is tricky because it's hard to tell when
the driver code ends and something else begins and also because you don't
know where the code sections as you would under CODE-Editor.

Try your best!

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill