Subject: Re: serial mouse emulation for macs w/o adb...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/1996 12:17:41
>Where zsms is the mouse driver, and zstty is the standard tty.
>The zsms probe routine would need to look at booter variables
>and just not attach unless the booter told it to. Note: this
>specific model's off as the zstty numbers are dynamic; adding
>or removing the mouse changes serial port tty #'s.

True, but if you leave the mouse plugged into a particular port all the
time, the tty's will come in at the same place. If you're one of those people
that changes your setup often -> plug your mouse in the last possible tty and
nothing gets shifted.

>Does it have z8530's on it? Zilog makes them, as does AMD. Other good
>candidates are the 85230 ESCC. Note: they'd have to be directly
>connected to the bus, no intermediate CPU.

Actually, I haven't had a chance to look. If I have to program at that low
a level then I hope it's an SCC since that's the same chip I delt with
when I made an OS for the Sun 2/50 (*barf*). I could prob. figure out the
Z8530 from the source in NetBSD, though.

> If so, you could
>write code to handle probing, a slightly-different attach routine, and
>a few different routines, and be set. Presto, zsaenb controller (zs Applied
>Engineering NuBus).  Basically you'd need to replace a few of the
>routines in zs.c. Everything else should be set. Hopefully they did
>things like Apple did.

Actually, thank the lord for NuBus. The AE card has it's own drivers in ROM.
Given the video mrg code, I could glue in the drivers for each port. I've had
a look at the driver code and it doesn't seem to call any strange A-Traps.
It's a great idea but I haven't been able to figure out how I can do
interruptable I/O with the stinkin' thing. Anybody know how NuBus interrupts
get installed/handled under NetBSD?

Anyway, if this doesn't pan I'll have to nose through the drivers and find
out where the control addresses are on the card and what chips are used.

This project will have to wait, though. I'd like to work on getting internal
video working and then making a fuel-injected color dt. :)

>If too many things are different, these drivers would need to be a different
>character device type. You could still name them tty02, tty03, etc,
>but they couldn't use the current drivers.

tty0 at zsc0
tty1 at zsc0
tty2 at nubus0
tty3 at nubus0
tty4 at nubus0
tty5 at nubus0

I wonder how multiple cards would work? Heck, with all three of my NuBus
slots filled with these cards I could have 14 tty's! Who needs this many
serial ports? :)

>Oh, Sunny, you suggested looking @ Linux sources? We could just look
>at the NetBSD isa drivers (/sys/dev/isa). They support Logitec
>mice, Microsoft mice, and ps/2 mice.

The protocols are simple. I also figured out a very strange trackball from
a company called QTronix. Wow, what a proprietary piece of junk :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill