Subject: Re: Identd/Kernel ?'s
To: None <spectrum@rlion-02.AK.NET>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/1996 09:47:07
On Thu, 23 May 1996 spectrum@rlion-02.AK.NET wrote:

> ok heres the deal. im running standard mac netbsd 1.1 distribution
> EXCEPT ive got the libm math file (no fpu) installed and im running the
> GENERIC 55 kernel.
> Identd no longer works on the system. someone told me that the identd is
> out of sync with the kernel... where can i get the identd which works
> with kernel GENERIC 55?

Question:
Is the kernel you are running named /netbsd?

The reason I ask is that if you have a kernel named /netbsd and you
have set up the booter to boot off of (for example) /GENERIC55 or you
use a kernel image that is in MacOS, then identd will NOT work.
identd (as well as a few other things) depend on certain kernel structures
which it picks up from /netbsd. So if /netbsd is not the kernel that is
actually running, these structures are "mis-matched" and you have problems.

If this is your problem, simply make sure that the booted kernel is
named /netbsd.

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504