Subject: Internal Video Survey
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/1996 14:33:56
Since I'd like to work on internal video for everyone, I'll need a little
bit of information. Please send me info about your internal video.

* What you need:
Get the "Slots" program from puma or an apple site.

* What to do (Basic)
1. Run Slots and look for your internal video. It should be named something
like ".Display_Video_Apple_*" where * is some name.

2. Fill this out and send me a copy:

Your Machine Name:
Video Name:
Slot that video resides in:

Ex:
Your Machine Name: IIvx
Video Name: .Display_Video_Apple_Brazil
Slot that video resides in: Slot 0

* What to do (Advanced)
If you're feeling adventurous you can also do the following:
Look at the driver you just found with slots and look for a base address
range that it manipulates for things like changing video modes, manipulating
the clut, etc. This is the place the driver expects the control addresses to
be. If you can also find the true physical address, that's great too.
Fill in the following and send it to me.

Mapped base address:
Best guess at mapped address range:
Best guess at physical address base:
Best guess at physical address range:

Ex for a IIvx:
Mapped base address: 0x0CEC
Best guess at mapped address range: 0x0CEC - 0x0E00
Best guess at physical address base: ??
Best guess at physical address range: ??

Hopefully, I can make a correlation and see if any of these video systems
have some kind of common region. I think trying to actually use these addresses
for direct manipulation is not only reinventing the wheel it's probably not
very practical so this is all for informational purposes only.

Thanks alot!

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill