Subject: Re: serial mouse emulation for macs w/o adb...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hubert Figuiere <Hubert.Figuiere@inforoute.cgs.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/1996 20:15:25
A (At) 9:43 22/05/96, Bill Studenmund ecrivait (wrote):

>> >i just thought of this while doing something totally unrelated...
>> >what if instead of using an adb mouse for macs that adb hasn't been fully
>> >implemented a serial mouse was used.
>[...]The disadvantage is that the
>connection of the mouse has to be done in the kernel config.
>
>But it should be possable to write a driver to take mouse actions
>and turn them into actions for the rest of the kernel. Like
>maybe making fake adb events, but I'm not sure if the current adb system
>would handle mouse events if there's no adb init.

But this would allow the use of mouse in the console (to do cut & paste) as
on Linux x86...

>> Perhaps this would allow us to have a 3-button mouse without glitches. [...]
>
>I thought we had working 3-button mice? Ken Nakata figured out the multi-
>button protocall, and (I thought) most non-three-button-protocall
>mice used a fake keyboard for option-left-arrow and option-right-arrow
>events (mine does).

I was talking about hardware. Yes, 3 buttons mice are easier to find (and
cheaper) in PC world (serial mice). That why I was saying this...

Hub

--
Hubert Figuiere - Hubert.Figuiere@inforoute.cgs.fr
Student and Mac & BeBox developer - figuiere@kagi.com