Subject: Re: MkLinux contribution...
To: Hubert Figuiere <Hubert.Figuiere@inforoute.cgs.fr>
From: None <niles@axp745.gsfc.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/1996 07:44:45
> I think that Apple should release all the HW docs of 68k since their plan
> (even on short term like Copland) does no longer include m68k macs... They
> have nothing to loose from their previous point of view (cloning), ansd
> everything to win (Mac is the latest platform not fully supported by Linux
> or other free UN*X)
>
> I hope they'll be clever enough to think about that...

Many, many people have asked Apple and they simply reply that's it's
not in there interest to release those docs.  They don't sell new
machines that way.  They also say that the docs have many of apple's
"secrets" imbedded in them and it would be a great deal of work to
"black" those sections out.  In fact, a major movitivation for
releasing Mklinux, says Apple, was it would be less work that marking
up the docs and it could still help the free software cause (and
hopefully Apple's bad image).  They also state there are legal reasons
they can't release the docs and mklinux was a way around that too.
Basically they say those 68k docs will NEVER be released.  (The
conference in Feb. and reading the mklinux mailing list, but all
sources were either Apple or OSF employees.)

	Hope this helps,
	Rick Niles.