Subject: MkLinux and internal video
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/21/1996 21:14:48
Does anybody know how MkLinux handles internal video? Does it do anything
beyond what BSD does without enhancements? Are all the Power Macs built around
the same Valkyrie video chip with a known base address or something?

I've been trying to think of a way to make internal video work "universally".
I figure that it would be possible to look for "Display_Apple_Video*" in the
ROMs. This makes the driver easy to find but trying to map in the video control
base is a little harder. I assume that the video controller has its physical
registers in device space but the driver (at least the IIvx one) expects it
to be mapped in elsewhere. These addresses look like they might be dependant
upon model and video type. I have to keep looking.

I'm hoping that such addresses are either:
A. Consistantly mapped to the same address range -> That range can be
   preserved in the page table at boot time

B. They are consistantly in the same place in the page table (i.e. they are
   mapped in at the same time when the ROM starts up) and those entries
   can be preserved.

If this doesn't work, there's going to be one mighty large case statement that
checks the model type unless I can think of something else. *puke*

Any help, tips, or info is appreciated. :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill