Subject: Re: PowerBook 160s
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/20/1996 10:41:15
> 1) Is it possible to run any avaiable kernel on the 160 (with a serial boot
> or otherwise?)

Hmmm.  I don't really know about this one.  What kind of processor does
it have?

> 2) If it is possible, why can't I seem to make it work?

Check out the user survey located at:  http://www.macbsd.com/~spearce/ to
see if anyone is in fact running it on one.

> 3) Is there a way to test kernels from the Mac partition w/o downloading
> the whole distribution or setting up an AUX partition (if none of the kernels
> will even work, I don't want to go through the trouble of doing this)?

Yes there is!  Check out the FAQ for more on this one (it's at:
http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/)

> 4) If it is not already possible, is any one working on kernel support for the
> 100 series PBs (even those w/o FPU)?  What about native ADB so it wouldn't
> need the serial boot?

I don't know about this one either.

> 5) This is a non-sequitor, but I've wondered for a long time; what are "sups?"
> (Obviously, I'm not an old school BSD hack but everyone always talks about
> everything being "supped" from this or that site).  I assume it stands for
> suppliments or something like that, but is there a more complete definition
> that I'm missing?

Sup is a method for retrieving source files.  Basically, instead of
downloading the entire source tree everytime it's updated, you only
download the changed files.

Later.