Subject: Powerbook 165c and a missing console
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Harry Laaksonen <harrylax@mail.algonet.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/20/1996 17:30:24
Hi all and greetings from Sweden

First I'd like to thank you all for advice I've gotten directly and
indirectly from this list
and from maillist archives.

Second I have a problem with a Powerbook 165c (14/120) and a serial console
(SE/30,
modemport, Imagewriter printercable, running Zterm at 9600,N,8,1). I have
installed
base and etc from Netbsd 1.1 distribution. I tried a Walter Reutten
netbsd.960206.3 kernel
and a ADBTEST #132 from John P. Wittkoski. The ADBTEST kernel lets me see a
multiuser boot
without the console and nothing at all when the console-option is selected.
The kernel from Walter
displays address errors and dumps me into the debugger, nothing on the
console when selected.
I tried 1.8 and 1.91 booters.

I've selected serial console on the modem port in the PB:s booter but can't
see any data coming
during boot on the SE/30. My conclusion is that the booter or the kernel
doesn't open the modemport,
I think :(

Yes, I have tried, there is a full connection between SE/30 and the
Powerbook when using Zterm on both machines. I can type on the other
computers screen and see it on the other computer screen. So it's not a
cable or Mac OS portproblem, I think :)

I hve edited the /etc/ttys file. Disabled ttye0 and enabled tty00

Note, this problem is Powerbook-only as my SE/30 boots multiuser with
serial console on the Powerbook like it should. But not vice versa.

If someone can help me I would be very grateful, maybe with private email
if you prefer that way.

Thanks for your time

Harry Laksonen

email: harrylax@algonet.se