Subject: Re: PowerBook 160s
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/19/1996 18:50:32
On Sun, 19 May 1996 ADAMGOOD@delphi.com wrote:

> I have tried unsuccessfully many times to get the available kernels to boot
> on my 160, but I never even get out of the booter.  It just hangs after
> printing out all the environment variables.

1.  Which booter?

> 3) Is there a way to test kernels from the Mac partition w/o downloading
> the whole distribution or setting up an AUX partition (if none of the kernels
> will even work, I don't want to go through the trouble of doing this)?

In the booter, there's an option to boot from a kernel in the mac
filesystem.  It should be on the right hand side at the top.  Just be sure
to specify the name of the kernel -- and I guess put it in the same
directory as the booter, unless you give it the whole

Macintosh%20HD::booter:netbsd

or whatever.  If you don't have a good gzip program and tar program,
you'll need to get those, as most of the kernels are .tgz.

> 4) If it is not already possible, is any one working on kernel support for the
> 100 series PBs (even those w/o FPU)?  What about native ADB so it wouldn't
> need the serial boot?

Let's see... I believe Allen Briggs has his 145 working, though mine never
did.  I may try now that I have the new internal HD and some FP emulation
kernels.

Don't know about the ADB.

> 5) This is a non-sequitor, but I've wondered for a long time; what are "sups?"
> (Obviously, I'm not an old school BSD hack but everyone always talks about
> everything being "supped" from this or that site).  I assume it stands for
> suppliments or something like that, but is there a more complete definition
> that I'm missing?

I think it's either source update or system update or something of the
like.  Regardless, some people like to compile kernels for one reason or
another.  They keep their own copy of the source code and then run sup,
which automatically updates their sources to match the current master
tree, only loading the files that have changed since their last sup
(_much_ faster than ftp in the long run :-).

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |