Subject: Re: Better term drivers...
To: Jell-O <wookie@us.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/19/1996 14:13:31
On Sat, 18 May 1996, Jell-O wrote:

<snip>

> I've seen a couple of other problems as well.  Such as, when you
> telnet to a host running reverse screen colors and then you drop back to
> your own system, you still continue to use the reverse video mode.  Has
> anyone encountered these problems and fixed them?

I'm thinking this may just be a general problem with bash -- or for that
matter, with all shells, heck, with the way inverse video works.  A
command is sent switching the text mode on your terminal.  Unless the
remote host sends out a command to reset the default status of your
teminal, it'll just stay that way.  Solution: type 'reset' to reset the
terminal settings before you try to do anything else -- or just run any
program that uses inverse video and that prog will take care of it.  :-)

I've experienced that same problem on a... sun, I believe... under ksh.

If I knew the ansi color sequence dealing with inverse video, I could
prescribe a patch that would set normal video every time bash prompted
you.  It wouldn't be too hard.  I forget where you'd stick it in the
source, but I could certainly check, if you'd like.

Hope that helps a little,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |