Subject: Re: File System Errors on IIcx
To: Edgar Der-Danieliantz <edd@aic.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/19/1996 06:10:01
On Sun, 19 May 1996, Edgar Der-Danieliantz wrote:

> Hello,
> >
> > >sd0(ncrscsi::0:0:0): medium error, info = 1347905 (decimal),data = 00 00 (etc.)
> >
> > I get several such errors and I'm unable to run any programs at all.  Is
> > this something I could have done? I installed NetBSD on my HD about a week
> > ago and since then have run into this problem twice.  The first time I
> > remade the file system and reinstalled NetBSD.
>
> seems your HD is broken... maybe you'll need to get new drive :)...

Don't scare him - the whole disk isn't broken, just one or a few sectors!

Best thing to do is to force the drive to remap that sector to a good one
(you'll need a good SCSI formatting program, like FWB's Hard Disk ToolKit
to do this).  Then, boot up single-user, and run fsck on the partition to
clean up all the things that are (probably) wrong as a result of being
unable to read the block in question.