Subject: Re: PPP and Router Concerns
To: pjnaro <Paul.J.Naro@cpmx.saic.com>
From: Lt Avram Dorfman <dorfman@hq.af.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/18/1996 11:32:44
Well, I'm going to do the same thing, as soon as I can get pppd to
work... I can help you with some of the routing issues, but no the bsd
side (yet 8-):

1) your ISP needs to agree to (and configure to) route your internal
subnet using your own address as the next hop.

	If your ISP is doing RIP internally, then you might be able to
join their RIP community. I wouldn't recommend it though. Everytime your
route goes down, you'll be looking at potentially 10 minutes or so (a
WAG) before RIP will finish figuring out that you've gone down and come
up again. In the mean time, your whole network will be unreachable, as
opposed to just the specific hosts w/in it. My recommendation (and my
approach when I get there) will be to have my ISP give me a subnet, and
set a static route to it to my own IP address. If your modems aren't on a
subnet that's directly connected to your ISP's internet connection, then
they'll also have to redistribute the static route into their IGP (eg
RIP) so that their gateway router knows about you.

2) your ISP needs to advertise your internal network to the Internet.

	Where did you get this network # from? If you got it from the
ISP, then they're probably already advertising it to the Internet. From
your address, it looks like it can't be routed to the internet as a
single unit. There's a cutoff beyond which class C networks have to be
aggregated. I belive the cutoff is 206.0.0.0.

This has been a pretty long response already - if you have any questions,
feel free to ask.

-1LT Avram Dorfman
HQ USAF Network Management
permanent email address: avram@pobox.com

"Methodological observation of the sociometrical behavior tendencies of
prematurated isolates indicates that a causal relationship exists between
groundward tropism and lachrimatory behavior forms."