Subject: Re: ser.c errors
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1996 08:59:45
> > It compiled as-is. I wouldn't have known about it except that I have a very dull life, and like to watch things compile, for hours and hours :(
> >
> > The compiled kernel will not run for me, however. It fails right away in the booter with "bad format"   I am just now re supping everything and doing a clean make to see if that helps, but I don't understand what is wrong. I recently moved everything over to a bigger disk, and did a newfs on it since for some reason the mac mkfs utility wouldn't make a file system that fsck liked.
> >
> > Existing kernels in the new fs work fine, or at least boot just like they used to, but I haven't been able to boot anything that I have compiled in the last 3 or 4 days.

(Brad, please try to make your mailer put carrage returns at the ends of
lines. Elm won't wrap lines on word boundries, so messages get hard to
read. Thanks!)

You moved EVERYTHING over, and got rid of your old drive? You then used
newfs to format the partition. Now you can boot old kernels in the root
of that partition, but not new kernels also in the root of the partition?
You aren't using any symlinks, correct?

Weird. I could see problems with a netBSD-made partition as there have been
upgrades to the ffs format, and the installer/Mkfs don't know about the
new ones. I don't know if the booter knows about the new ones either.
But if you can have the kernels side-by-side in the same root directory,
then I don't know what's wrong.

> > Brad
> >

> More on this.
>
> I've gotten the newest booter, ftp'd GENERIC_57 from puma and everything works fine, except kernels I compile locally.
>
> I rm'd /compile/GENERIC and started fresh with a completely resupped set of kernel sources, but still I get 'bad format'
>
> I'm at a loss.

Hpoefully someone else will know.

Good luck!

Bill