Subject: Re: Making pine accept binhex attachments?
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/16/1996 15:17:42
>On Wed, 15 May 1996, The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:
>

>> Now, it's a real pain
>> in the butt to deal with Eudora includes because it can't include as ASCII
>> text, only as binhex.  Since the files inside are usually straight ASCII
>> text. . .

A few points about Eudora, since I use it regularly.

1) There used to be a way you could tell it that plain text attachments
were to be just included as-is in-line.  It was one of the configuration
switches.  (I am now using Eudora Pro 2.1.4 and I can't find that option
anymore.)

2) In Eudora Pro you can specify UUencoded attachments, which should work
fine with Pine.

3) I think it is AppleDouble, but there is an encoding method in all
version s of Eudora that basically sends the data and resource forks as
separate files.  If Pine does not understand them then you should get two
files, one of which is the plain text file you really want.

All of these comments apply to the person sending you the stuff from Eudora
and not to Pine, of course.  I myself have a Sun and a Mac on my desktop
and I run Eudora on the Mac, and POP on the Sun.  My compatibility problems
are with cc:mail, not Mac/UNIX.