Subject: Triumph of the Puny Mac II
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David G. Wonnacott <davew@trigati.cs.haverford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/1996 16:00:14
Earlier I wrote:

   I'm once again having trouble getting NetBSD to run on my old Mac II.

   So far, in addition to partitioning my hard drive and installing the
   MacBSD files, I have:

   1) fixed a problem with the SCSI id of my internal hard drive
   2) installed a PMMU
   3) installed and enabled Mode32
   4) removed all cards other than video (an old card with
		   "Apple Computer Inc, copyright 1987, 88" on it)

Since then, I have added

   5) installed the memory control panel (which was missing in my
	minimal system 7 installation), and turned 32-bit mode on
   6) disconnected the appletalk port

My machine now works.  It even boots with my ASANTE network card
installed, though I haven't connected that to anything yet.

Thanks to all of you who pointed out all the things I had done wrong,
and for the generally friendly tone with which you responded to my
sometimes rather basic problems.

My ultimate goal is to get MacBSD running on several Macs here and use
it in an operating systems course I'm teaching next spring.  I'm
planning to re-compile the kernel on a Sparcstation, and let students
experiment a bit with kernel modification (something I'd rather
restrict only to machines that aren't needed for other classes or
research, thus the advantage of MacBSD on some old Macs).

Who knows, maybe someday we'll even contribute something to MacBSD...

Dave Wonnacott
davew@trigati.cs.haverford.edu
davew@talquinth.cs.haverford.edu (as of about 15 minutes ago, though
				  this address isn't known outside of