Subject: Re: Return of the Puny Mac II
To: David G. Wonnacott <davew@trigati.cs.haverford.edu>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/14/1996 21:19:18

> I'm once again having trouble getting NetBSD to run on my old Mac II.
> I was sending mail about this back in February and March, but then got
> distracted by other activities.
>
> So far, in addition to partitioning my hard drive and installing the
> MacBSD files, I have:
>
> 1) fixed a problem with the SCSI id of my internal hard drive
> 2) installed a PMMU
> 3) installed and enabled Mode32
> 4) removed all cards other than video (an old card with
> 		"Apple Computer Inc, copyright 1987, 88" on it)
>
> It still does not boot - it only gets to:
>
>   [ preserving 89324 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
>   Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
>   Faked range to byte 0x800000.
>   Bootstrapping the pmap system.
>   Pmap bootstrapped.
>   Moving ROMBase from 0x40800000 to 0x1800000.
>   Video address 0xfbb00020 -> 0x5300020.
>
> (I re-typed that, and may have introduced errors).
>
> The one other thing I can think of is that, due to having a small hard
> disk, I only have 8.5Meg of swap space available.  Could that be
> causing a problem this early on?  I'd rather not re-partition,
> re-install, and try again if this is not the problem...  If I end up
> having to do so, any recommendations about how to partition a 40M
> drive?  Or should I just shoot it and buy a bigger drive?
>
> Dave W

Don't give up, this is the same machine that I use, and it runs fine.
Did you turn 32 bit memory -on- ?
How much memory do you have?
what version are you running?

A very tough to find problem I had early on was that I had 20 meg of memory, 4-4's and 1-1's and I had them in the wrong banks. They worked fine under macos, but wouldn't work under NetBSD.

Brad

Brad