Subject: Re: problems making dt-1.0.2
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1996 23:53:23
>this is not even a novice question...it puzzled me a while, too.
>dt keeps a common scrollback buffer for all its virtual screens. This
>buffer is properly sized for 9/12" screens but not for a portrait monitor
>that has twice as many liner per screen.
>
>Look for the constant VT_MAXROWS, increase its value to something like 100
>and you should be fine.
>
>(Btw: Am I right to assume that dt is kind of orphaned? Valtteri?)

Actually, once Valtteri gets the latest version out and once I get everything
in line and (someday) successfully get IIvx internal video working, I'd like
to take a crack at modernizing dt. I use it almost as much as X.

Here's a short wish list:
- Color modes through the new grf driver
- Loadable fonts
- Loadable keyboard mappings
- Help screen
- Configuration screen
- Screen blanker
- Tek 1040 emulation [Maybe]
- Internationalization like EUC/JIS/BIG5/etc [wishful thinking indeed!]

I got to know dt very well when I was working on my own OS for a class. I used
it as a reference on how to do terminal emulation on a console-type screen.
I also have code that does everything from points to polygons from a graphics
class so doing something like a nice mouse driven interface for a config
screen should be easy.

Just give me some time :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill