Subject: Re: More fun with EZ and Internal Video
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1996 17:01:50
>I suspect it would be prudent to wait on the firmware upgrade (soon, maybe
>already out?).  The biggest EZ drive prob. comes from the firmware bug.

What, exactly, is the firmware bug? I kind of imagine the drive asking for
n amount of data, the OS gives it to the drive, and the drive reports back
n-m received. MacOS probably ignores step 3 and just figures the drive got
it right or something.

I still think the kernel should catch problems like this and at least attempt
to correct them. Obviously there is *some* reliable way to get the data to the
disk as seen in MacOS. Of course, NetBSD and MacOS are worlds apart in many
respects and SCSI is no exception but I think it's not totally unreasonable to
be able to recover from the occasional SCSI bus error. Keep in mind that
many devices might simply be designed for systems like MacOS and if they
work for that OS the manufacturer doesn't give hoot about hobbyists running
some rouge OS they built on the weekend. Never mind explaining to them that
you're trying to do anything but run MacOS on you Mac. :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill