Subject: Re: Latest kernels?
To: Tim Schmidt <schmidt.180@osu.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/12/1996 19:29:01
On Thu, 9 May 1996, Tim Schmidt wrote:

> I was wondering where I might find the latest kernel(s)
> that I could use with my IIsi.  As I recall, there were ADBTEST kernels,
> which worked great for me, and quite a few flavors of GENERIC.

Since I haven't deleted this message, I can only assume that nobody has
answered it yet.

Generic kernels are in:

ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/outgoing/briggs/

and adbtest kernels are in:

ftp://ftp.microserve.com/popaccts/h/jpw/www/kernels/current/

Also, I recommend the ADB kernels for the IIsi, simply because the last
two generic kernels I tried wouldn't boot on mine.  Funny, but most people
didn't have the problem, only one other person that I heard about.  I'm
using ADBtest 110 or 111 (whichever one does all the checks) without any
trouble.

> Second, I have a friend with an LCIII who would like to run NetBSD.
> Back in February, I believe the Wittowski kernel was the only one that
> would run on an LCIII, and even then it required a serial terminal,
> which is impossible for my friend.  Have the problems been overcome
> yet?  What is the status of this machine?

Still requires the jpw kernels, _but_ should work without a serial
terminal.  Now the LCII -- _that_ works serial console only with the
ADBtest last I checked, but the III is (I'm 99% sure) supported completely
now.

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |